When the New Year arrives, it can be a great time to reflect on the changes we want to make in our lives. Making New Year’s resolutions can help us focus on taking steps toward achieving our goals and being happier and healthier.
However, it’s no surprise that most New Year Resolutions fail within days, weeks, or months after they are made. While it may seem easy to set a goal and plan to follow through with it, the reality is that it takes hard work and dedication to stick to a resolution.
If you’re looking for ways to make sure your resolutions don’t fail this year, here are some tips that can help set you up for success:
1. Make realistic and achievable goals: Try to take on only a little at a time. Break down any big goals into smaller ones, so each step feels more manageable. Also, pick something specific and measurable.
FLEX Member Kelly Seibert’s resolution is to be in bed by midnight and set aside 10 minutes daily to tidy up. Kelly said, “It’s been going well! I tried to make sure I didn’t pick something too ambitious that I couldn’t keep up with. It’s not about quick results but slow, measurable change that you can win every day.”
2. Track your progress: Hold yourself accountable by keeping a journal of your goals, tracking your daily habits, or setting reminders on your calendar. This will help motivate you to stay on course and evaluate how well you are doing from time to time.
3. Find motivation: Having support from friends, family members, or even the FLEX community can provide an extra boost when times get tough — remind yourself why you wanted to achieve this goal in the first place!
Members Damien and Maggie Cherico set a goal to run the Pittsburgh half marathon in May. Damien said, “Maggie and I keep each other accountable. Committing by signing up also forces you to train even on days you don’t feel like it.”
4. Celebrate small successes: Don’t forget to celebrate when you reach a milestone — whether big or small — as it can be a great motivator to keep going.
5. Don’t be too hard on yourself: It’s okay if you don’t hit every milestone as planned; re-evaluate your goals and move forward. Don’t give up and be kind to yourself!
Making New Year’s resolutions can help you reach your goals, but it takes more than simply setting them — following through is key. With the right mindset, dedication, and support, you can ensure that your resolutions don’t fail this year! Good luck!
This article was published in the Future Leaders & Entrepreneurs Exchange’s (FLEX) February 2023 edition of the FLEX Your Ideas (FYI) Newsletter.